The Easiest Way To Keep A Gratitude Journal

“Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty.” -Doris Day

I’m here to share my rocky journey of keeping a gratitude journal and the best solution I found to keep it consistent. I have read so many books, articles and blogs about why we should keep a gratitude journal and there are even scientific studies that have proven that keeping a gratitude journal is beneficial for health and well-being. Just like I sometimes forget to eat the daily recommended intake of fruits and vegetables I often forget to write in my journal too, but I truly believe it is just as important. At the start of the year I stumbled across the perfect gratitude journal, it was simple, clean and even prompted you to write down a daily affirmation which is something else I wanted to incorporate into my daily routine. When I went on the website to order it I discovered they had an app version which was perfect as I’m a little embarrassed but not afraid to admit that if there is something I am VERY consisted with in life its checking my phone, so this was perfect, and I’ve never looked back! The APP is called “The 5 minute journal” and one of the the most valuable features for me is being able to set an alarm to remind yourself to do your daily entry.

If you are new to keeping a gratitude journal or are just lacking some inspiration to know what to write, I have shared below a quick overview of the questions you’ll find in the journal and some tips on how to answer them.

☼ MORNING ☼ (Focus on the good and set your intentions)

• I am grateful for…. –  Whether it’s a good night’s sleep, a sunny day, your children’s smile or your comfortable bed there is always something to be grateful for.
  • What would make today great…..– This is my favourite part to fill in as it really gives my day focus. I use my goals as inspiration for this part so for example, if it is a working day I might write “Have a catch up with my manager to plan our targets for the week” or “Do 5 coaching sessions today” or “Go and eat lunch outside.” On a weekend they may be “Take our children to the park” or “Wash the car.”
  • Daily affirmation, I am…….–  Depending on how I am feeling or what I have planned in the day will inspire my daily affirmation.For example it is my day off today and I don’t have any plans so my affirmation is simply “I am going to embrace the rhythm of the day.

☽ NIGHT ☾ (Reflect and empower)

• 3 Amazing things that happened today…..- I’ll be totally honest as this can be SO easy if your day has gone to plan or it can be SO difficult if you have had a really rough time. If I have had a rough day I think about what could have made my day worse and that really opens up a whole new perspective on the day and I start finding all the amazing things that did happen.
  • How could I have made today even better……- This isn’t about dwelling on the things you did wrong it’s about taking ownership of the choices you did or didn’t make that you can do differently to give yourself a better outcome. If I felt rushed in the morning I might write “Set my alarm earlier to give myself more time to get ready.” or if I snacked on junk food I would write “Prep my healthy snacks before I go to work.” Whatever it may be, it is an opportunity to empower our minds to take control and remind ourselves that everything we do is a choice.

Even if you don’t use the app or buy the physical journal I have recommended you can still use the above prompts to start and end your day. It only takes a couple of minutes but with some consistency it will transform your life forever.

Thanks for reading! ☮

25 Comments

1. I’ve been trying to keep a gratitude journal and this honestly looks the perfect solution!! Thanks for the post 😊

2. Thank you for sharing. Gratitude has changed my life

3. TheGalaxian says:

Thank you! This was very inspiring!

4. Reblogged this on The Preemie Mummy and commented:
    If you’re not already following this lovely lady then please do so. Her posts are inspiring and motivating! You won’t regret having a bit of her “Zen” in your life!

5. Lovely post again! 😀 I really do love this idea… I feel like it would set my day up to be more productive! I think I might buy a journal!!! 🙂 x

6. ashleyleia says:

When I initially started keeping a daily gratitude log I needed prompts or I would end up repeating myself a lot, but with more practice I’m finding I no longer need prompts.

7. Bryan Fagan says:

There are so many positives in our day to day living, unfortunately it’s easy to focus on that one bad thing. The red light took forever and I’m running late. The cat’s muddy paws made a mess out of everything and so on. I let it run its course and than I turn the switch off.

As always, excellent post. Thanks!!!

8. It Girl says:

You just gave me an amazing idea! I think I might get a physical journal and start writing things I’m grateful for every day. Maybe even decorate one of those cute jars and put my thoughts on pieces of paper. Great post!

9. JenaPen says:

I love this idea! I’ve never heard of a gratitude journal, but I think I might just work towards keeping one! I’ll probably start with the app and hopefully end up with a physical one. I love physically writing things that make me feel good. Thanks for the ideas 💕

• I also love physically writing my thoughts, it’s so therapeutic! The APP keeps me consistent but now I am in a good routine I might try and incorporate a bit of both. Regardless of whether you write or type the benefits are still incredible. I’m glad you enjoyed the ideas! I definitely recommend giving it a go 😊

10. Thanks for sharing this experience. I have been looking at ways to work on my negative self talk and this may be a start!

11. It is interesting what people journal. I can see how gratitude would be beneficial. Personally, I journal my dreams and then thoughts that I want to get down. After i deal with those thoughts I check them off the list. I’m thankful for this life, and I’m grateful it is a happy one.

12. I love this <3 I honestly am going to download this 🙂 & I'll do a review on it.

13. Rayne says:

I just started a Vitality Journal (an idea from a book I’m reading “The Self-Care Revolution” by Suzy Reading), and have decided to use the formula you’ve shared here, in that journal. Just did my morning part. Thanks for sharing this. 🙂