The Easiest Way To Keep A Gratitude Journal
“Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty.” -Doris Day
I’m here to share my rocky journey of keeping a gratitude journal and the best solution I found to keep it consistent. I have read so many books, articles and blogs about why we should keep a gratitude journal and there are even scientific studies that have proven that keeping a gratitude journal is beneficial for health and well-being. Just like I sometimes forget to eat the daily recommended intake of fruits and vegetables I often forget to write in my journal too, but I truly believe it is just as important. At the start of the year I stumbled across the perfect gratitude journal, it was simple, clean and even prompted you to write down a daily affirmation which is something else I wanted to incorporate into my daily routine. When I went on the website to order it I discovered they had an app version which was perfect as I’m a little embarrassed but not afraid to admit that if there is something I am VERY consisted with in life its checking my phone, so this was perfect, and I’ve never looked back! The APP is called “The 5 minute journal” and one of the the most valuable features for me is being able to set an alarm to remind yourself to do your daily entry.
If you are new to keeping a gratitude journal or are just lacking some inspiration to know what to write, I have shared below a quick overview of the questions you’ll find in the journal and some tips on how to answer them.
☼ MORNING ☼ (Focus on the good and set your intentions)
- I am grateful for…. – Whether it’s a good night’s sleep, a sunny day, your children’s smile or your comfortable bed there is always something to be grateful for.
- What would make today great…..– This is my favourite part to fill in as it really gives my day focus. I use my goals as inspiration for this part so for example, if it is a working day I might write “Have a catch up with my manager to plan our targets for the week” or “Do 5 coaching sessions today” or “Go and eat lunch outside.” On a weekend they may be “Take our children to the park” or “Wash the car.”
- Daily affirmation, I am…….– Depending on how I am feeling or what I have planned in the day will inspire my daily affirmation.For example it is my day off today and I don’t have any plans so my affirmation is simply “I am going to embrace the rhythm of the day.“
☽ NIGHT ☾ (Reflect and empower)
- 3 Amazing things that happened today…..- I’ll be totally honest as this can be SO easy if your day has gone to plan or it can be SO difficult if you have had a really rough time. If I have had a rough day I think about what could have made my day worse and that really opens up a whole new perspective on the day and I start finding all the amazing things that did happen.
- How could I have made today even better……- This isn’t about dwelling on the things you did wrong it’s about taking ownership of the choices you did or didn’t make that you can do differently to give yourself a better outcome. If I felt rushed in the morning I might write “Set my alarm earlier to give myself more time to get ready.” or if I snacked on junk food I would write “Prep my healthy snacks before I go to work.” Whatever it may be, it is an opportunity to empower our minds to take control and remind ourselves that everything we do is a choice.
Even if you don’t use the app or buy the physical journal I have recommended you can still use the above prompts to start and end your day. It only takes a couple of minutes but with some consistency it will transform your life forever.
Thanks for reading! ☮