A Beginner’s Guide to Happiness – Step 6
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. – Confucius
So this step is all about simplifying daily life but don’t worry I’m not going to suggest selling of your belongings and moving into a cabin in the woods lol!
Here’s why simplifying your life is important — everything in your life takes up space. Whether it’s mental space, physical space, or calendar space, you only have so much room. Everything you own, everything you do, and everyone you spend time with costs you something.
If you look at some of the happiest people in the world, it’s not the concrete things that are bringing them joy. It’s about a lifestyle and way of being. This way of being involves recognising things for what they are, in the present moment, without the need to over complicate things.
Simplifying your life will give you more time, space, and energy. The more space you have, the freer you’ll be to truly enjoy everything.
- Re-design your day – Evaluate your time. How do you spend your day? What things do you do, from the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep? Make a list and evaluate whether they’re in line with your priorities. If not, eliminate the things that aren’t, and focus on what’s important
- Get organised – Planning ahead will make your life a whole lot easier and establishing a routine is an easy way to get organised. You can introduce a routine for anything, from exercising in the morning, to cleaning or even paying bills. After doing the same routine after a while it will become a habit so make sure its a productive one. I also suggest having a calendar that the family can access so everyone knows what’s going on each day.
- De-clutter – Throw everything away and go in live in a cabin in the forest (just kidding.) I am a massive fan of Marie Kondo and all of her tips when it comes to having an organised home. A clear space really does clear the mind and when you know where everything is it’ll make life simpler too!
- Communicate clearly – Don’t try to read other people’s minds, and don’t make other people try to read yours. Most problems, big and small, within a family, friendship, or business relationship, start with bad communication.
- Get out of your head – Life is happening now and only this present moment exists. We spend hours playing out scenarios in our head that have never happened and may not ever happen. Overthinking is literally the best way to complicate everyday situations because we end up totally disconnected from what is real and miss the beauty that is happening in the now.
- Stop spending time with toxic people – Choose friends who you are proud to know, people you admire, who love and respect you – people who make your day a little brighter simply by being in it. Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you. When you free yourself of negative people, you free yourself to be you – and being you is the simplest way to live.
- Want less – Learn how to love what you have and be grateful for the thing’s money can’t buy. In his book The Longevity Plan, Dr. Day suggests asking ourselves two simple questions that will help simplify our lives, and by extension, our expectations:
1) Do we have what we need?
2) Do we need what we want?
- Meal plan – This is a game changer! When you know what you are having for breakfast, lunch and dinner during the week it makes every day SO much easier. I plan our meals on the weekend that way we don’t waste any food, money or time trying to figure out what we are having for dinner.
- Slow down – Here’s a fact that might shock you. Multitasking does NOT work; in fact, it does more harm than good. When you slow down you can better focus which means you learn how to do things correctly which will save you more time now and in the future.
- Choose simplicity – “And in life, it is all about choices we make. And how the direction of our lives comes down to the choices we choose.” – Catherine Pulsifer. Your life will not become any less complicated or any more simple until your words, thoughts and actions align with each other so its important that your day to day actions reflect what you want to achieve.
Will you implement any of these tips into your daily life?
Thanks for reading and make sure you share your smile with the world today ☮